The Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) is a fully funded scholarship program offered by the South Korean government to international students who wish to pursue undergraduate, graduate, or research studies in Korea. The scholarship is designed to promote cultural exchange and mutual understanding between Korea and other countries, and to help students build a strong foundation for their future careers.
The scholarship covers tuition fees, airfare, living expenses, Korean language training, and medical insurance. In addition, recipients of the scholarship may be eligible for additional financial support for research or study-related expenses.
To be eligible for the GKS, applicants must be a citizen of a country that has diplomatic relations with Korea, hold a bachelor’s or master’s degree, have a high level of proficiency in Korean or English, and be under the age of 40 (for graduate studies) or 45 (for research studies).
The application process for the scholarship typically opens in February or March and closes in April or May of each year. Applicants are required to submit their application online and provide supporting documents such as academic transcripts, language proficiency certificates, and letters of recommendation.
Selection is based on a comprehensive evaluation of the applicant’s academic qualifications, language proficiency, research or study plan, and personal characteristics. Final selection results are typically announced in June or July of each year.
For more information on the Global Korea Scholarship program and the application process, you can visit the official website of the Korean government’s Ministry of Education.
Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) is a fully funded scholarship program Overview
- Degrees Offered: Masters, Ph.D. & Research Programs
- Scholarship Award: Fully Funded
- Organization Name: Global Korea
- Host Country: Korea
- Application Last Date: Varies from University to University & Embassy
Global Korea Scholarships Benefits
The Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) is a fully-funded scholarship program offered by the South Korean government to international students who wish to pursue undergraduate, graduate, or research studies in Korea. The benefits of the scholarship include:
- Tuition fees: The scholarship covers the full cost of tuition for the entire duration of the program.
- Airfare: The scholarship provides round-trip airfare from the recipient’s home country to Korea.
- Living expenses: The scholarship provides a monthly allowance for living expenses, including accommodation, food, and transportation.
- Korean language training: The scholarship provides intensive Korean language training for recipients who do not have sufficient proficiency in Korean.
- Medical insurance: The scholarship provides health insurance for the entire duration of the program.
- Research or study support: Recipients may be eligible for additional financial support for research or study-related expenses.
- Cultural experiences: The scholarship provides opportunities for recipients to participate in cultural experiences and events to enhance their understanding of Korean culture.
- Networking opportunities: Recipients have the opportunity to network with other international students and Korean students, as well as professionals in their field of study.
Overall, the Global Korea Scholarship provides a comprehensive package of benefits that enables recipients to focus on their studies and make the most of their time in Korea.
Necessary Documents for Global Korea Scholarship
To apply for the Global Korea Scholarship (GKS), applicants need to provide various documents to demonstrate their academic qualifications, language proficiency, research or study plan, and personal characteristics. The specific requirements may vary depending on the level of study and the scholarship program, but generally, the necessary documents include:
- Application form: Completed online application form with all required information and supporting documents uploaded.
- Personal statement: A statement explaining your reasons for applying, academic background, and future study plan in Korea.
- Letters of recommendation: Two or three letters of recommendation from professors or academic advisors who are familiar with your academic background and potential.
- Academic transcripts: Official transcripts of all academic records from high school to the most recent academic degree.
- Language proficiency certificates: TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean) scores if you are planning to study in Korean, or TOEFL or IELTS scores if you are planning to study in English.
- Passport or ID: A copy of your passport or identification card.
- Medical examination: A certificate of health, including a negative result for COVID-19.
- Research proposal: A detailed research proposal for graduate students or researchers.
- Work experience certificate: A certificate of employment or work experience, if applicable.
- Other relevant documents: Any other documents that may be required by the scholarship program, such as proof of citizenship or proof of financial support.
It’s important to carefully review the specific requirements for the scholarship program you are applying for and to ensure that all documents are submitted by the application deadline. Incomplete or late applications may not be considered for the scholarship.
Deadline For Application
The application deadline for the Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) varies each year, and it typically falls between February and March of the following academic year. The exact deadline may differ depending on the program and the country of the applicant, so it is important to check the official website of the Korean government’s Ministry of Education for the most up-to-date information.
In general, it is recommended that applicants submit their applications as early as possible to ensure that they have enough time to prepare all necessary documents and to avoid any potential technical issues. Late or incomplete applications may not be considered for the scholarship, so it’s important to pay close attention to the application deadline and to ensure that all requirements are met before the deadline.
Acceptance Rate Of the Global Korea Scholarship (GKS)
It is difficult to provide an exact acceptance rate for the Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) as it may vary from year to year and depend on various factors such as the number of applicants, the quality of their applications, and the available funding for the program. However, the scholarship program is highly competitive, and the selection process is based on a comprehensive evaluation of the applicant’s academic qualifications, language proficiency, research or study plan, and personal characteristics.
Applicants who meet the eligibility criteria and submit a strong application with all required documents have a higher chance of being selected for the scholarship. However, the number of scholarships available each year is limited, so the selection process is highly competitive.
It is important to note that the GKS is a highly prestigious scholarship program that provides a comprehensive package of benefits and opportunities for international students to study and conduct research in Korea. Therefore, the program attracts a large number of highly qualified applicants from around the world.